Washington State Department of Enterprise Services
A link to the full course description is available via WCIA's website, just click "Register for this Event" button on this page.REGISTRATION:
DES Non-Merit Registration Form
located below the phrase Related Information
. Complete the form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
. Questions? Please contact Rachael Stich: 360.407.8447.
Washington Cities Insurance Authority (WCIA) supports this course by providing a limited reimbursement of:
- One registrations per member, per year
- Please register and pay DES first
A crucial conversation is a discussion between two or more people where stakes are high, opinions vary, and emotions run strong. These conversations, when handled poorly or ignored cause teams and organizations to get less-than-desirable results.
This course will provide you with skills to handle controversial and heated issues. You will learn how to catch problems early and resolve disagreements candidly and respectfully. You will also learn how to discuss issues in a way that makes it safe for everyone to speak. The course is active and engaging, with frequent skills practice, intense class participation, personal reflection, planning, and commitment.
Performance Objectives: Upon completion of this course you should be able to:
- Describe what a healthy crucial conversation looks like when being candid and respectful.
- Identify your own communication style "under stress" and ways to decrease vulnerabilities while enhancing strengths.
- Describe how to restore safety to a conversation by fixing misunderstandings, maintaining mutual respect, and establishing mutual purpose.
- Describe how to be persuasive without being abrasive.
- Apply tools to help others stay in dialogue - helping them move away from strong and optional conclusions and back to their observations.
This course is currently being offered on 06/19/2019, 07/09/2019, 08/14/2019, 09/11/2019, 10/14/2019.