This course is exclusively designed for new or seasoned supervisors, or managers who have the supervisor role.
Morning refreshments provided, lunch on your own.Cancellation is required prior to the training date. No Shows will be billed.
Life as a supervisor in a public agency is exciting and harrowing at the same time. You are expected to motivate employees, keep the public happy, keep the upper-level management happy, keep elected officials happy, while at the same time dealing with shrinking resources.
The labor and employment field is one area that touches almost every aspect of your work. The laws have become increasingly complex, with more and more inconsistencies between state and federal laws. You are often bombarded with employees, fellow supervisors, and/or union officials claiming to know the "real" answers to complex employment problems.
This training is designed to give you a broad overview of the various laws regulating personnel matters. Topics covered in this training include:Overview of Discrimination Law
- Definition of protected classes under federal and state laws
An overview of the Family and Medical Leave Act
- Define when employers and supervisors can be held liable
- Provide examples of potential sources of harassment and define unwelcomed conduct
- Proper measures for investigating harassment claims
How to respond to ADA and Reasonable Accommodation reque
- Various leave entitlements under Washington law
stsImportance of good hiring practices
Considerations for providing effective performance evaluationsProgressive discipline and how to handle difficult discipline situationsHandling labor issues that may arise
- Negligent hiring and supervision risks
- Checking references and criminal background checks
- Probationary periods
This course is currently being offered on 03/21/2019, 04/02/2019, 04/09/2019, 05/09/2019, 06/18/2019.